Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Why We're Stopping HYD At 5 Seasons

This is probably my second to last post. DV has a bunch of other stuff he wants to tie up, and I hope he takes as long as he needs to do that. The more of his work I get to read, the better. But I've said pretty much everything I want to say. After this I'll have one more post to wrap some things up, but that's about it.

Not that we are remotely serious enough that anyone would expect an explanation as to why we are shutting down - I think everyone understands this particular project has just run its course for us - but I figured I'd offer one up anyway. After all, most of our readers have been with us since the very first day, and are every bit a part of this as we are (more on that in the last post). So before we stop talking baseball here, I think DV and I can at least briefly offer some insight into why.

There's not a whole lot more to it than what I mentioned above - authoring HYD has run its course for both of us. I won't speak for DV beyond that, as I'm sure he'll want to say some things of his own. But for me, that's really what this is about. I have no interest in continuing. Not because I dislike it, but just because I don't like it as much as I used to.

There are a number of reasons for this. When we first started this site, we were in college. There was a lot more time to research and post on all sorts of topics. As there became less and less time to devote to this after college, I found myself posting less frequently and more narrowly regarding subject matter. When we first started, I would post on the Yankees, but also other teams, prospects, and a lot of analysis - both statistical and from a scouting perspective - on individual players on the Yankees and other teams alike. And I would sometimes post 2-3 times per day. As time went on I posted less and increasingly about just the Yankees. More specifically, I was posting more and more about the hot topics surrounding the Yankees, and barely more.

I don't think I had anticipated that I wouldn't like doing this, I just know that once it started I knew I didn't like it. Not because I didn't like talking about the Yankees; obviously, that was the main purpose of starting this site. I just felt like the proportion of time spent talking about the "buzz" topics as opposed to getting more creative discussions was not where I wanted it to be. Obviously, I had complete control of this. But again, when time becomes an issue it's easier to talk about what's right in front of you as opposed to going out and finding new stuff. Further, it's not that I didn't want to talk about the "buzz" stuff. Again, that was a part of the enjoyment of doing it too. It's just that that wasn't the only thing I wanted to be doing. Largely because of time, that became the case.

The time issue also got us into a very structured process here. When we first started posting was fluid. DV and I each went through various periods where we were more and less busy, and we posted accordingly. But between the two of us, we had a lot of posts going up. Sometimes there would be 4-5 in a day, sometimes there would be zero. In all, there was a lot more than 5 per week going up, and it was great because that was happening purely as a result of us posting when we wanted to and when we could. But as time went on we could really only realistically get one post up every day Monday through Friday, and even that was a struggle at times. While I am very proud of the consistency with which we were able to do this for the last few years, the structure of it became somewhat of a chore. Instead of posting when we wanted to, we were sometimes posting just because that's the way it was set up. And that just isn't as fun.

The comments section was the part I continued to and still continue to enjoy. I liked debating the content of the posts as well as different topics that were brought up. But the posting part just wasn't, and isn't, realistic anymore. Which is fine. Things change and this certainly is not a very serious one. I'll miss the comments, but I won't miss putting the time into posting.

That said, just because things have changed, and we're shutting things down, doesn't take anything away from how much I've enjoyed this for the last nearly 5 years. I'll touch on that point more in my final post, but suffice to say I've enjoyed it immensely. Otherwise I wouldn't have done it as long as I did. This is just the right time to stop, and I'm content with that too.

No comments: