Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Congrats, DV

Congrats to our very own DV, who won the Vermont City Marathon this past Sunday. There may be a few more, but I know of five marathons that DV has run in his career: Maine, Boston, Houston, Philadelphia, and Vermont City. He won Maine, he won Philadelphia, he won Vermont City, and had a superb showing in the uber-competitive Boston. Winning 3 out of 5 and having a great race in one of the best marathon's in the world is some kind of start to a young marathon career.

None of this is any coincidence. DV works his absolute tail off. He packs a full-time competitive runner's workload into what more closely resembles a part-time runner's schedule as he also works full-time, is working on a post-graduate degree part-time, puts a great deal of work into this site, and has somehow managed to still have friends and a girlfriend for like 5 years now. Tongue in cheek I might say that I'm not sure if he sleeps, and the reality is there are times I'll talk to him around midnight and he'll tell me he has to go to bed because he's getting up at 4:30 to run before work. This may sound like an advertisement, but really I am just consistently genuinely impressed by his effort and dedication. He deserves every success that comes his way.

In the interest of full disclosure, while happy, DV is not as excited as you'd expect someone who just won a marathon to be. He has his sights set on bigger things, and unfortunately he fell just short this time around. He probably won't be willing to use this as an excuse, but the whether is objective. After favorable conditions to start the race, the sun came out around mile 11 which made for a tougher back-end, especially for someone who is not just trying to win, but put up a huge time in the process. DV may or may not feel like talking about this, just pointing it out so everyone congratulating him knows what frame of mind he is in if he has the chance to respond.

The good news is he'll have more chances to make that desired time. He's really putting together a very impressive career. I'm sure it's difficult for him to do now given his ultimate goals, but at some point he'll be able to reflect on all of these wins and appreciate them more fully, similar to the way we (or at least I) are able to now. Winning marathons is certainly something to appreciate and be impressed by. Congrats again, DV.

5 comments:

the gm at work said...

PF,

Thanks for the congratulations, although I'd rather talk about Alfredo Aceves. I'd actually rather talk about Carl Crawford's player of the week award. I could also write a thesis about how Tim Tschida is a complete embarrassment (and has been for twelve years) after being at the game last night. But whatever.

I have won three out of five, so you are correct there. But let's not get it twisted and pretend I'm young. I'm 26 (and specifically less than twenty months younger than the Red Sox' center fielder - or four days older than Jarrod Saltamacchia), I have roughly 35,000 miles on my legs, and I am making it a specific goal to go out like Matsuzaka: With no bullets left in my body by the time I'm 33.

The beauty of a race like Sunday is that the line between success and failure is pretty clear. All results are incontrovertible. If I ran faster than 2:19:00, it would be a success. If I ran slower than 2:19:00, it would be a failure. I ran slower than 2:19:00. A lot slower. I could John Lackey up this entire comments section talking about the heat and all that, but I can't rip a guy for doing something and then do the same exact thing.

I'm proud to say that after the s*** hit the fan at mile 11, I made adjustments so I could survive the last fifteen miles of the race. I gave the race committee and the city of Burlington, who treated me like a freaking king and gave me the top seed, the proper respect by not dropping out of the race while in the lead. I've had to run races where the wheels came off with five or seven miles to go, but this is the first time I've ever had to run for fifteen miles AFTER the wheels had already come off. So I can say I gave it all I had.

But the bottom line, and something that cannot be debated, is that all I had was not good enough. I know there are a lot of people out there on the Internet who are searching for "Dan Vassallo's running blog" and find nothing but HYD Baseball. So if they want any kind of candid response about this most recent race directly from me, they'd have to do some navigating, but here it is.

Ross Kaplan said...

DV, I wholeheartedly second everything Pat said. I'm still amazed by people like yourself who are notjust able to run marathons, but run them at world class times. I still remembering running on the treadmill next to you at Boulos Fitness Center while I'd be gasping for air you were still going strong an hour later. If you ever decide to run the NYC Marathon I will be there cheering you on at 1st avenue as you cross the Queensborough Bridge. Congrats again.

Anonymous said...

DV,

Congrats. I am the anti-endurance athelete. I am running my third half marathon this weekend and will hopefully try my first marathon later this year so that I can write into the Colby magazine about it and get a 26.2 bumper sticker.

I feel terrible after running 13.1 at about an 8 minute pace and wince at the thought of 26.2 period. What you are able to do is really incredible.

Congrats again the race, and good luck on figuring out what you need to do to take the next step in the future.

Bandi

Anonymous said...

DV

I don't remember the last time I spent two hours and nineteen consecutive minutes at the gym. I certainly can't imagine running, non-stop, for that amount of time. The fact that you won is also impressive.

On a more serious note--what the hell is going on with this Red Sox team? Are they going to be this inconsistent all year long? They just finished a stretch where they HANDLED some excellent, EXCELLENT teams. And then they come home and get absolutely destroyed by the White Sox, who suck. And sure they had Wakefield and Aceves starting, but the first game, where Lester didn't even show up? That can't happen.

--the Gunn

John said...

The Sox are something like 2-13 in their last 15 games against the White Sox, awful. These haven't been great teams that they've gone up against either. I just tend to think of it being the other side of how the Angels play the Sox. They are usually good and we get the best of them, then go play a bad time who for some reason just sort of owns the Sox.