Sunday, August 15, 2010

106 More Indictments of the Red Sox Doctors

Sometimes, apparently, seven years of medical school are not enough. Because this weekend, I had further proof that the Red Sox' medical staff has done a crummy job handling the team's injuries.

I'm not even talking about 46 and the relapse of his sore ribs Friday night that might indefinitely postpone Game 19 of his 2010 season. I wrote back in July that while the first and foremost antagonist on the 46 saga is 46 himself, the fact that the team wouldn't pony up the dough to MRI its future multi-million-dollar investment (front and back, of course) is troubling.

Past issues with players, including the Curt Schilling surgery debate, JD Drew not playing for a month but never going on the DL, nobody figuring out what's wrong with Jed Lowrie, and others along the line, have to further make you think that it might be time for the team to make a change from the Thomas Gill et. al. group. The team used Dr. Arthur Pappas for a long time, and then he eventually fell out of favor. The Gill group is starting to do the same thing, and I'm starting to think that a team's group of doctors have a certain shelf life before they lose the confidence of the players, organization, and even fans.

Let's just say that in hindsight, I'm glad the phone just rang off the hook when, at my orthopedist's request, I called Dr. Gill's office for a second opinion on my own 2010 injury.

This post is entitled "106 More Indictments..." because I ran 106 miles this week, about 90% of my usual capacity. This is a mark I have not come close to since the first week of January. I accomplished this task within five weeks of the same sports hernia surgery Mike Cameron is planning on having after the season. Not to say I am never in pain: I still occasionally have to ice the area and I still have not touched a weight or done an abdominal exercise since the July 8th surgery.

Cameron was diagnosed with this condition the same day I was diagnosed with it: April 20, 2010. If he went in for surgery, like a professional athlete should be, on April 21st, and his recovery were the same as mine, he would have been back in the lineup by June 1st. We may have never heard names like Daniel Nava or Eric Patterson, ones that, while they may have been momentarily heroic, shouldn't be ones associated with a playoff-contending major league baseball team.

So here I am with healthy legs and on the comeback trail to relevance in the running world, and I am asking the following: Why is the team's $15.5 million investment Mike Cameron still sitting and waiting for surgery? It's another embarrassment on the track record on this medical staff.

2 comments:

TimC said...

Good post, DV. I think folks are wondering, though, if perhaps Delcarmen also has some kind of undisclosed injury...or maybe he used to pitch left-handed...

Sore ribs are a chronic condition and should not be used in a joking fashion. Like, DV, you ever have sore ribs? It hurts, especially when you are being underpaid.

Also, I know that you are on the training staff for this, but I've heard from some quarters that Cameron should have insisted on going into surgery himself. This is something I disagree with. An athlete should push to play- those are the guys I want, anyway, the anti-Drews. And the staff needs to push back with their expertise on health. Until we get a player-doctor in MLB, this is the way it must be.

the gm said...

Baseball needs a Roger Bannister. Got it. I feel like Ross Ohlendorf was the person with the most potential to do so, but he did economics instead. Mussina could have gotten the job done too, I guess.

I do understand the idea of a guy pushing to play, and that is respectable. Cameron has balls to play what he played through. If anyone on this blog knows that, it's me. But it is not hard to figure out that surgery was a quick, easy fix for this injury. Look at the track record. Either ask a doctor or ask freaking ESPN.com. My chiropractor said that one of his patients had the surgery and was back to running within eight days. And baseball players, football players (including Brady), and hockey players have the surgery and it's done immediately. The hard part is getting it diagnosed. Cameron got it done quickly.

But it's a systematic failure on both the player and the team that this hasn't happened yet. He seriously could have been on the field by June 1st.

P.S. Thanks for the pity post.